Our Book with Confidence policy lets you cancel and rebook your tour with no added costs prior to departure, giving you added flexibility and peace of mind.
River Tara and its canyon are one of the main reasons you came to explore Montenegro. The Tara canyon takes a proud Europe´s longest canyon and the second longest in the world after Colorado’s Grand Canyon in the USA. The incredible canyon is the 1330 m deep and about 80 km long, and UNESCO protected. The Tara river’s cascading waters cut a deep path, winding through the mountains, boasting rife blue-green sapphire colors with more than 50 water cascades, ready to take you on the ride of your life!
More than 5 hours with 25 km rapids and real rafting adventure on this fantastic part of the canyon, the river provides genuine enjoying in this beautiful green canyon with untouched wild nature. Experienced or not, you will be able to ride on a raft boat and delight the fantastic views of the river, canyon and mountain peaks. There are sandy beaches, high cliffs, rocky and pebbly terraces and many caves and waterfalls along the canyon. Also, the opportunity to see several historical and cultural treasures.
There are no descriptions that convey the enjoyment, attractiveness, natural beauty and all positive that this unbelievable adventure offers, it must be seen and experienced. The excitement and pulse at “Tear of Europe”, which is likewise called the river, since it gives the pure drinking water throughout all canyon. One of those adventures that are long remembered.
According to the itinerary
This fantastic rafting from Kulina to Žugića Luka will let you experience and see a gorgeous part of the canyon, well-known for its outstanding beauty and remarkable Đurđevića Tara Bridge as well the Manastirska pećina (Kloster’s cave, the first school in the region). This part of the canyon beside the remarkable Bridge and heavenly Kloster, has the Monastery of St. George (Sv. Đorđa) from the 14th century likewise the shortest river and largest water spring in Europe, Ljutica.
For those who seek to enjoy the real nature, rafting from Kulina to Žugića Luka will delight you! Dobrilovina is an idyllic plain in the wild beauty of the Tara Canyon cliffs with a unique and incredible rainforest of black pines, Crna Poda. Also, both Dobrilovina and Lever Tara (Žugića Luka) have many natural beauties with a lot of amazing scenery, caves, springs, and waterfalls as well as many exciting cascades class 2-4.
Moreover, there is a slight chance to encounter wildlife along the shores of the river like deer, bears, chamois, and wolves that live within the surrounding forests. Also, you can otherwise uncover grayling, trout, huchen, and carp in Tara’s water. Therewithal, don’t be surprised to see the chamois or deer climb up the mountain.
On this rafting adventure you will get to experience:
We’ll meet about 30 minutes before rafting on Tara river, in a parking lot the “Izlet” restaurant at the Dobrilovina, for a “welcome meeting”. Please, check your voucher or our website beforehand for the correct meeting place location and time.
After arrival, meet our staff and other rafters to prepares a rafting group to transportation towards the starting point for rafting. If you come with your own car, park in the restaurant’s parking.
Thereafter, transporting with our vehicles upstream along the Tara River ca 1 km to Kulina, also starting point for white water rafting.
After this short journey to get there, arrive we at Kulina starting point, a place that people will make a whitewater rafting. Your rafting begins from the coast with a short introduction to paddling practice and safety procedures led by your guide/skipper.
Preparation for safe rafting ride that includes full rafting equipment, neoprene suits, boots, life jackets, helmets, and anoraks. Neoprene suit and boot are very important because they are during the summer tourist season, the water temperature is 10-12 °C. Each raft has a waterproof bag where you can store your mobile phones and cameras.
After preparation and introduction, the rafting starts at a 25 km total raft ride. This rafting Kulina – Žugića Luka is a real pleasure and you can have it afford without much effort!
The rafting from Kulina through the famous canyon Tara toward Žugića Luka (Lever Tara) lasts 5-6 hours (depending on the water level) with breaks for photography, swimming, and refreshment. Above Dobrilovina extends mighty rocks – Tarske grede (Taras beams). There are springs Bijelovac in Česma (Ćorbudžak), as well as visit the largest water spring in Europe and also the shortest river in Europe, Ljutica spring.
During the rapids ride is many interesting caves can be seen, like the Manastirska (Kloster’s cave), Šalintrača (produced saltpeter for gunpowder), Bjelovačka, Dovoljska, Šljivinska as caves Bojana and Trojana. At the rapids ride are many rapids like Bijeli Kamen (White Stone) and Bjelovac, Trešnjički bukovi (cascades) exactly under famous and very popular tourist attraction, Djurdjevića Tara Bridge.
After passing Djurdjevica Tara Bridge we ride past the Bijele ploče and Archangel’s cascades like a small charming Monastery of St. Arhanđela Mihailo (Archangel Michael) from 14th-century. The rafting ride with the last few rapids continues towards the Žugića Luka with a swimming break in the cool green swirls, before we reach the Lever Tara and Žugića Luka, our ultimate goal.
The Žugića Luka (Lever Tara) is an endpoint for this rafting. Upon arrival, we leave our equipment and we will change clothes, as have lunch. Before or after lunch you can look at the stone from Roman times in the old Roman passage in the small village of Lever Tara.
We enjoy a delicious lunch with specialties of the local cuisine, where you can try a phenomenal barbecue like meatballs, kebabs, burgers, sausages… (ćevapi, ražnjići, pljeskavice, sudžukice), salad, cheese, cream (kajmak), pies (pita) and bread during the “saće”, donuts, pastries and homemade brandy (šljivovica) or juice. Of course, we will also take care of you who are vegetarians or vegans, just when booking, please inform.
After lunch, we drive to the meeting place on the Dobrilovina, or agreement to other places. The views are spectacular and give this landscape an indescribable touch while journey through the canyon. A short break to visit the famous Đurđevića Tara Bridge.
Arrival at meeting place in a parking lot the “Izlet” restaurant at the Dobrilovina, after the itinerary or agreement. Please, check your voucher or our website beforehand for the correct Pick-up and Drop-Off locations and time.
The end of the amazing rafting Kulina – Žugića Luka (Lever Tara). We hope you had an unforgettable experience and you are welcome again.
• To realize this activity must be at least 2 people (adults). See our Additional information & Prices for more details or contact us if you have any questions.
• Group 15+ has a discount of 5-10% on the basic price.
• The program can be changed (eg, due to the traffic, the safety etc.)
• The program time can be adjusted if needed (eg conditions, service, etc.)
• If possible, we can pick you up along the way or organise a bus connection or taxi (for a fee) for individuals and groups from other coastal cities and Podgorica.
Please, come at least 10 minutes before the welcome meeting and departing time-based on the itinerary or by the agreement. Also, look closely your voucher or our website beforehand for the correct meeting point location and time. We can’t accept a late departure request.
• Starts on: In a parking lot the “Izlet” restaurant at the Dobrilovina
• Ends on: in a parking lot the “Izlet” restaurant at the Dobrilovina
Your guide also can give you more information about the activity and any other information you want when you are on the spot.
About hotel guests: According to the planned program for Pick-Up and Drop-Off locations and times. If agreed to Pick-Up and Drop-Off Service from the hotel, then a boarding location will be parking outside the hotel or in front of the hotel at the agreed time specified in the voucher, or by agreement.
About other guests: If you come on your own, with your own car or bus, you ‘ll be at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before welcome meeting and departure. Please, check our website or travel agency beforehand for the correct locations and time.
– If you can’t find transportation to get to us, we will be happy to organize transportation (dependent on availability).
– Confirm the booking in accordance with terms and conditions online or contact us.
– Please, confirm booking immediately during the booking process if it’s less than 7 days before the planned departure for this activity.
– Bookings that are made online can be confirmed using My Account. My Account includes all information, you’ll be able to track the confirmation, track your payment status, meeting point location and you can also rate the activity after you finished it. Note: Bookings made by phone cannot be checked from My Account.
– Also, show either a paper or an electronic voucher to your guide at the welcome meeting.
The passenger is entitled to cancel the activity and is required to inform the organizer. Cancellation can be made directly on the website, or in writing including cancellation by e-mail. The date of the written cancellation is the basis for calculating the fee, according to the law of the Organizer, expressed as a percentage of the total price, if the program is not otherwise stated, as follows:
• no cancellation fee if canceled at least 7 days before the scheduled departure
• 50% if canceled 6 – 3 days before the scheduled departure
• 100% if canceled within 48 hours before the scheduled departure
– If the activity is missed due to delays or missing arrival, refunds will not be issued.
– Prices are based on groups of 2 – 15 participants (adults) and per person, as well as according to the suggested date of activity.
– To realize this activity must be at least 2 people (adults), ie for the 1 person it’s possible to organize it as a “single tour” (the price on request).
– If there is an insufficient number of participants during your reservation and you want to book a “private activity” and pay a deposit, but in the meantime, other people also booked then, the basic price will be calculated. Just give us a notification when booking for this “basic” option.
– The activity is possible to arrange from other cities in Montenegro for individuals and groups. (Contact us for details and prices).
– The activity can be organized in conjunction with another activity or tour, as a full day (with/without accommodation) or longer. See our offers and contact us to meet your needs or according to your wishes.
– Montenegro Adventure keeps the right to change the price if service providers change prices.
• Participants on the activity are individuals or small groups of mixed nationalities.
• Children with parents or guardians must be 2-12 years.
Children under 7 years can’t participate on this whitewater rafting ride.
If you are under 18 you will need parental permission, unless you travel in the company of an adult (18 years of age or older).
• Season: All year, but usually from May to November
• Start point: Kulina (Dobrilovina) – 750 masl
• Finish point: Žugića Luka (Lever Tara) – 590 masl
• Height difference: About 160 meters
• Ride length: About 25 km – Total tour length about 50 km
• River’s classification: 2-4 level on this part of the river
• Difficulty: Easy/Medium difficult route
• Duration: Ride about 5-6 hours, a full tour of about 8 hours
• Dangers: No
• Code: FDA – RKZL – 001 – MA
Currency: Euro (€)
Gratuity (Tip, Bakhshish): Your Montenegro Adventure crew never expect tip themselves and will not request for any. However, if you are pleased with our staff who have served you, and you still want to give tip, our staff will appreciate it and be grateful for your gesture.
Clothes: Make sure you wear comfortable clothes and shoes for the activity. Hat or cap, sunscreen, and appropriate sun protection clothing is required during warmer months. A small umbrella or raincoat for rain will be useful in case of light rain. Bring a swimsuit, underwear as a reserve if you get wet, and preferably towel. The weather in the mountains of Montenegro can be very unpredictable (warmer clothing for months other than summer). Please prepare for various weather conditions.